Radon: Test. Fix. Save a Life.
The Barren River District Health Department is working to raise awareness about the dangers of radon gas. Radon is a naturally occurring, invisible, odorless, tasteless gas that is dispersed in outdoor air, but which can reach harmful levels when trapped in homes and buildings. Scientists have long been concerned about the health risks of radon, and there is overwhelming proof that exposure to elevated levels of radon causes lung cancer in humans.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that radon is responsible for more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths per year. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers and the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. after smoking. People often don’t even realize that their homes are at risk but South Central Kentucky has some of the highest radon rates in the world.
Fortunately, testing homes for radon is simple and inexpensive. Radon test kits can be purchased at local hardware and home improvement stores or can be picked up at your local health department at no cost. Radon problems can be fixed by qualified contractors for a cost similar to that of many common home repairs such as painting or having a new water heater installed (about $500 to $2500).